Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Three Important Functions to Everyday Survival

Every morning when I get to work at a bright and early time of 7:15, I do three things.

First, I must have food. Food, obviously, is my most important task. Without food I get crabby and when I get crabby, I suck at my overtly easy job. I also believe food is what can make or break a day. If I skip breakfast (which really is THE most important meal of the day), I tend to ‘graze’ on junk all day and not get anything done. So eat breakfast. I usually eat something light, like fruit. Today I have a craving for eggs and hash browns, but I don’t have time for that.

Then, as my computer loads my inbox and I log in to every application I will need for the day I check my bank accounts. I’m not entirely sure why I still check this so frequently. When I first moved out on my own after college I was paranoid that I would run out of money. I think checking it once a day isn’t as bad as then, back then I was checking it multiple times a day (the balance never changed either). I’ve learned through my parents that money is very important when it comes to certain things. When I was younger, we never had the extra money to go to the mall. Now, I create a budget for doing just that. If I didn’t know that I had enough money for all of my bills and everything else I wanted to do, I would be punching my panic button in hopes for an emergency rescue. I’m not a fan of being poor, so I don’t intend on being that way.

The third thing I do, I put lotion on my hands. It keeps me feeling womanly; every girl has to embrace it some way. This is one simple way I do. (Pedicures are amazing for this as well)

One thing I avoid trying to do everyday is drink coffee. Caffeine can have two side effects; I am motivated and energized to get stuff done, or I become frustrated, crabby and shaky. So, unless my head is nodding, I don’t drink coffee. Diet coke is my weakness after 10 am.

I do not choose this because I think it will stunt my growth, I do it because without coffee I feel more energized and relaxed about stressful situations. I don't 'crash' in the afternoon and need to run to the break room to grab more caffeine. I don't need coffee, or caffeine for everyday survival.

If you haven’t noticed by now, I’m a routine girl. I live by doing everyday things a certain way. I believe a routine shows capability to be un-routine. It shows responsibility. It does not show personality or creativity. That is what the rest of your life is for. If you don't believe me consider this: During the holidays I have more time off work and I have more personal plans to attend to. During this time, my routine is thrown off course. Which, I enjoyed the break and it was very easy to do. Now that I am back at work and back into my routine, I'm having a difficult time putting it back in place. It's been three days and I still can't fall asleep early enough, I haven't gone to the gym and I've been napping every night after work (because I can't sleep, and I can't sleep because I nap). Its easier to throw out order and have chaos than to create order amongst chaos. Routine is good. Especially when it disappears for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment