Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A New Year can create annoying Co-Workers

Am I the only person that doesn't have enough patience in the office? Usually co-workers are helpful and enjoyable. Since the 'New Year' it seems as though every co-worker wants to be on top of everything. In order for them to do so, they have to ask me a million questions about the simplest of things (things they don't and never have worried about before). Then when I tell them the answers, they look at me like I don't really know what I'm talking about. It is extremely annoying.

I know part if this skepticism is created based on my age. I am the youngest in the office. By at least 8 years. I understand that sometimes people judge others based on things like age, weight, sex and they don't mean to. It's how society has developed our judgement. But honestly, I'm getting tired of it. On top of the age, I also hold what some would think is a 'pointless position'. These are the people that think all I do is answer the phone and look pretty. One time I was assisting the owner while his assistant was out and he sat at my desk while I typed emails for him. A few people walked by and gave me a confusing look that could translate into a few different thoughts:
A. Is she in trouble?
B. Why is the owner talking to the 'secretary' (not my job title) or
C. She does more work than answer the phones?

This is an everyday struggle for an admin. I'm young, I'm in an entry-level (not even to some people) position. But what they don't see is that I have a lot of responsibility, I am ambitious, I'm intelligent. I want more and will get more. I am awesome.

People forget that everyone starts somewhere. I happen to be here. And until I decide where to move to next, I'm here. Learning and growing.

So what do I do to overcome this obvious judgement? Most of the time I ignore it. If I'm running low on patience I start to get that edge in my voice. It screams authority and confidence. Usually, that ends the dilemna.

I'm sure everyone will cool down once the month is over with.

No comments:

Post a Comment