Tuesday, May 19, 2009

My Special K Challenge

Today I'm starting the Special K Challenge.

What it is: I replace two of my meals with the special k bars and cereal and add two snacks, special k brand, into my day. I eat my third meal as normal. I do this for 2 weeks. fruits and vegetables are ok to eat as additional snacks.

What it should accomplish: I should lose 6 lbs. and be able to jump start myself into healthier eating.

Ok, so I'm not a junk-food fanatic or anything like that..I'm more like a cheese, bread and overly processed food fanatic, lately.. I decided to do this challenge to get my discipline in order and get back on track.

keep in mind this is not a long-term weight loss solution and will require a change in diet and exercise after the challenge to prevent gaining the lost weight.


Before starting this diet I did a little googling to see what others said about it. Apparently, people were always hungry on this diet (too few calories?) and only lost an average of 4 lbs.

So while searching the grocery store for the products, I decided I was going to further personalize my challenge.

My Special K Challenge: Although the actual challenge provides a list of their specific brand to eat, when I looked at the nutrition labels I wasn't very excited.
-the 'snack protein bars' only had 1 gram of protein and not a lot of fiber.
This would explain why people were always hungry during the challenge. I opted to exchange the snack bars for other bars that had higher protein and fiber. In turn these also have less sugar and unnecessary filler in them.

-The 'meal bars' have a high amount of sugar.
I decided this was acceptable because it was sugar, and not high fructose corn syrup (don't believe the commercials!).

-I bought a lot of fruits and vegetables.
This will give me fiber and other nutrients I need in order to keep my body functioning at a high level while not feeling like I'm starving.

-I bought a multi-vitamin.
Although I should take this every day, I decided to start now, I'm concerned that the bars don't have the nutrients I need. Nutrients and fluids are what keeps our bodies alive, in addition to (not just) carbs and protein.

My Goals: As far as weight loss, I'm hoping to lose about 3 lbs. I'm going to continue to be as active as I normally would be and I'm not going to allow myself to starve (hence the fruits and vegetables). After the challenge I want to be able to have more discipline in choosing foods that are good for me as opposed to foods my brain craves.

I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment