Thursday, April 9, 2009

Why the SpongeBob/Burger King Ad is Wrong

I saw this last night while watching South Park, which is not necessarily the best kids show in the world. I couldn't believe what I saw. If you haven't seen it, you must. Here is a link to YouTube, after you're done watching it, come back and finish reading this post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5X4TSbGreA

First off, I like SpongeBob SquarePants. I used to watch it with my nephew when both of us were younger. But I wouldn't say it was the best show for kids. It has some fowl ideas in it; like the fact that the starfish is so absolutely dumb it makes me feel fumb watching him. But its ok entertainment.

Burger King, isn't somewhere I would go to get a healthy meal, but I never thought the company would make an advertisement so disgusting that is aimed right to kids. I know, I know, "Parents are so over-protective, why do they have to be so paranoid?" But over-protection and paranoia is not the point here. The point is that these companies are advertising sex appeal, de-humanizing the woman body and are trying to sell kids' meals while doing it. I could just imagine my 10 year-old nephew starting to sing this song after seeing it and then wanting to go get nasty Burger King food while doing it.

Think about it, and watch the commercial again if you need to; the men on the show consist of ugly weirdos looking at butts, a king costume and cartoons. The women are dressed in tight 'sexy' clothes with 'squares' on their rear ends dancing around and shaking their 'thang'. At one point the king measures a woman's square rear end. This isn't appropriate for anyone, let alone kids.

On top of this, if you remember the original video and song, you know it starts out with two girls bashing a girl for having a huge rear end (i.e. self-esteem issues ladies!) and then you hear this rapper talking about how he loves to have sex with women who have big rear ends. And not just a single woman, but ANY women. Now, I'm not religious or very conservative, I have had more than one partner, but advertising that having sex with anyone isn't very positive for kids. And it isn't very positive for little girls to already be thinking about how their bodies look.

This commercial is wrong because it is teaching boys to fantasize about the female body and not appreciate her personality. It teaches girls to be conscientious about their body and can cause self-esteem issues. This commercial is wrong because it teaches kids under the age of twelve that sex is okay, a woman doesn't deserve respect and that nasty, fried food is good for you.

Burger King and SpongeBob SquarePants should be ashamed of their actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment